Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

DIY Mini Kids Table

If you're anything like me, you want all these cute things but sometimes that price tag just doesn't cut it. I have been wanting to get our two year old her own little table. I see all these cute Pintrest ideas for the modern tables but I refuse to pay over $100+ for something I want to redo anyway. Lucky for me, my mom saved the day. 

 I am an avid lover for thrift shop furniture. You can't beat the prices and you'd be surprised of the finds that you can redo. My mom called me and said she found some steps at one and came up with the idea of turning it into a small table. My initial thought, "Oh gosh! What is the woman thinking?! That is not going to work!" She picked them up anyway and I must say, mom was right again. It turned out so cute! 

stairs= $3
 paint= Free (found a can in the garage along with everything else I needed :)) 
sand paper= $2
paint brush= $1

So here is what I started with. I was able to picture it a lot more once I started working with it. And please ignore the gorgeous garage floor. That would be the mess from my other pintrest attempt currently going on with an antique dinette set. 


I sanded it down really well to make sure she wouldn't get any splinters and broke out my tack cloth to do my final wipe down. I definitely recommend keeping those on hand if you are a renovator. They are about a $1 at Walmart. Once I sanded it down, I threw on some paint. I probably would have gone with a bright yellow but we had this pretty blue left over from my son's nursery. Plus, her favorite color so win win! 


Starting to see it now?? Yes!! Now imagine some cute designs on it. 

I threw on 2 more layers of paint since the paint was so light. Picked up some wall art at Walmart for $1 and added them to give it that perfect touch for her and finally, a coat of polyurethane to seal it all up. And yes, you can actually use wall art. I was completely surprised but it says it can go on wood as well! 




The best thing about this is it's portable and light weight! Fits perfectly in her room but can easily bring it into the kitchen for lunch play dates.. or even outside. It also made me feel a lot better knowing she can't take a chair and climb up something. We know how creative kids can get. I would definitely call this one a hit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment